Saturday 21 January 2017

Nissan Refuses to Recall Murano Transmission Despite Major CVT Problems

Toyota is Not the Only One!

I began researching my next car before making any firm decision. Subaru's are great, but I was liking the Nissan Murano. So I started to
reseach on the web at the usual car sites, Vehix, Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds for consumer blogs and forums. I started to find a common, disturbing thread between all Murano consumers. These were people who loved Nissan and the Murano from 2003-2009. The common thread that has caused me not to buy the Murano is the universal serious problem with the CVT transmission and Transfer Plate which costs $4-6000 to replace when it cracks or fails, which usually occurs between 65,000 or miles. Nissan claims it is the consumer's fault because the tranny is not replaced with new fluid (cost $600) every 30,000 miles, yet, as owners state, the manual makes no mention of this at all. Worse, Nissan knew of the defect and as you will read, having the tranny go out in traffic can be very dangerous and there is absolutely no warning from sensors etc. The symptoms may lead one to think it is a fuel injection issue or brake. Murano's have been complained about to the NTSB, and nothing happens, just like with Toyota and their accelerator issue.  If you own a Murano made between 2003-8, respond to this post and let others know of your problems.



Anyone that has a Transmission failure due to faulty design and pressure sensor please post your complaint to this website: www.nhtsa.dot.gov. This is the national highway transportation safety administration and deals with these kinds of safety issues and manufacturers that do not want to acknowledge defects in their products. Please fill out the complaint form, the more of us that do will make a bigger difference in the response.
 "My car (Nissan Murano) has been doing the surge and losing power thing.....ever since I bought it. On the freeways, highways, and in town in heavy traffic and in freezing temps. I have taken the car in two times and the mechanic tells me that he can not see an error code. To bring the car back the next time it happens again. I did and he thought that he fixed it that time. My friend drove it with her children to pick me up from the airport and it started to do that losing power thing on the freeway. This is really dangerous! My friends have been with me on a road trip out of town and we weren't sure if we would make it home. The vehicle just decides it will not move forward or backward, or it will move, but very slowly and builds speed and surges forward!"
"A significant number of CVT and Front Transfer Case (cracks/fractures) issues from late models all the way up to my 2009.

"Nissan's Tom Naquin & Corporate were not helpful at all & blamed lack of oil change on my fractured Transfer Case. This - even after a loose electrical cable locked me on AWD for awhile a few months prior to this incident & my maintenance manual never mentioned any required oil changes per Schedules 1 & 2"
"We got rid of our 2004 Murano too. I was sad, because I really did like the vehicle. I filed a complaint with NTSB too, but so far no luck. I don't understand, Toyota issues a mass recall, but Nissan doesn't? The 2003 and 2004 Murano's have a known problem with the CVT and transfer case."
"Don't be fooled! Nissan is experiencing numerous problems with their CVT's but refuses to officially recall thevery defective transmission design. Nissan has taken an "arrogant" position on this issue. My '03 Murano SE has had been in the shop 3 times with CVT problems the last was a total failure. The cost was $6300"
"I had a tapping sound (thought it was a tire). It grew louder and became a banging sound. Took it to Nissan Dealer. I have 105,000 miles on my Nissan Murano AWD 2004.
They called and said my differential caused my transmission to go bad so they couldn't cover the repairs under the extended warranty. The estimate was $9400 for new transmission, transfer case and differential."
" I also have a 2004 Nissan Murano that I purchased December 2008......low mileage approx. 33,000 miles. About 3 weeks it totally broke down on me....had to have it towed into the dealer and the diagnosis was damage to the Front Transfer Case. Since then, I have been battling with my extending warranty folks....still no luck. Total damages estimated thus far as $4800.....absolutlely ridiculous!!!!!!! "
"My Transfer Case components fractured at 72k mi. Nissan, w/ no investigation, concluded it was my fault for not changing the oil. I disagreed & complained to Nissan Consumer Affairs: 1) My '05-Manual does NOT even require oil change under Schedules 1&2 - confirmed by Kings Nissan. 2) A Naquin Tech mentioned running AWD on dry pavement is another potential cause. 3) A loose wire caused the SES & AWD light to stay-ON & vehicle would not run more than 20mph at 70k mi. (felt like trans/powertrain restricted)."
"It happened to me again a couple of weeks ago on my drive home at night. So scary! I was turning in an intersection and my car wouldn't react to my gas pedal. It hesitated, then lurched before finally catching up to speed. It's a miracle that I didn't get in an accident."
"The 2003 has a problem with the transmission and the 2004 has a problem with the transfer case. It is unacceptable that a $30,000 plus vehicle needs a repair that costs 40% of the residual value of it. They know it's a problem but until someone files a class action suit against them, not sure they will stand behind their product."



"Wow, can't believe how many Murano owners have the same problem. Wish I would have known this before buying mine 11 months ago. Mine just went yesterday, 5 months after the power train warranty ran out. I contacted Nissan and they said 'too bad, so sad" and they won't do a darn thing about it. My cost will be $3700 for 112,000 km's. I'm royally ticked off at Nissan for the fact this is happening to a lot of Murano owners and they should do a recall and cover this for all owners."
"My 2003 Murano transmission was replaced in Sept of '06. I was driving home from a vacation in Maine and the problem occurred in stop and go traffic on the Mass Turnpike. Thankfully was able to get car, cat and two kayaks off the turnpike before being hit. Car towed 12 miles to closest Nissan dealer. Had to rent car to drive back to Ohio. My car was there from Sept 4 through Oct 1. Had to have friend fly back to pick up car and drive back to Cincinnati."
"What’s even more disturbing is the service bulletin Nissan issued below (NTB04129). It appears to be a design defect in the transfer case of the older models and the company resolved this issue beginning with the 2005 models. Below it states the parts that need to be replaced and once replaced the transfer case (AWD) is now upgraded and will operate like a 2005 model. Why is Nissan waiting until the transfer cases fail before they correct this flaw in the older models? In addition, they are putting the cost of this defect on the consumer stating it may have happen when using the all wheel drive on dry pavement.  I encourage you to voice this transfer case concern to the vice president of Nissan as I did via email. Kevin.Martinnissan-usa.com. Unfortunately they did not help me but if enough people with the same problem let it be heard, Nissan just might change the warranty extension and reimburse for previous transfer case repairs."
"The common theme I hear in many posts is you report the smell from the leak and they tell you nothing is wrong and the damage continues to the parts that are leaking. We are on our second dealer and 4 visit to repair this problem. Makes you wish you would have dumped the vehicle a long time ago. Love the Murano but will never buy another one because the dealers seem unable to identify and repair the them when needed. "
"Our 04 Murano's CVT failed last week at 30K. Pedal to the metal and it would barely move, then suddenly took off. The dealer is replacing it under warranty but it seems to me that an automatic transmission should last longer than 3 years/30K miles."
"I just bought a used Murano last week and I think I have the same problem. I press the gas pedal and the car doesn't move until the RPM is over 1000 and then it just kinda surges forward a bit. I didn't notice it during the test drive and it just showed up after being stuck in traffic in LA for about 2 hrs. I'm a little disappointed, a little mad, a little confused, and everything else! "
"I have had my 2004 Murano in the shop multiple times since I bought it 1-1/2 years ago (including a month long visit for a transmission rebuild, so they said). I bought it used with 8k miles on it, what a great deal I thought I got. The car randomly becomes unresponsive at acceleration, but it coasts, bringing me into intersections and highways. I've had it in several times, but they just cant duplicate the problem."



" I finally traded my Murano. I sued Nissan for breach of warantee. My Murano was in the shop 24 times in the 1-1/2 year period I had it and the transmission was replaced 3 times. Dealerships dont want the Muranos at all. They are worth nothing for trade, I took a $4000 hit on mine. Nissan settled out of court for $6500 so that helped. But I suggest doing something if you have constant problems. I am so happy to be rid of the night mare."